About Dr. Murrell
W. John W. Murrell, M.D.
W. John W. Murrell M.D. is a board certified ophthalmologist specializing in cataracts and oculoplastics. He is double certified by The American Board of Ophthalmology and by The American Society of Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgeons.
After graduating with honors from the University of Maine in 1977, Dr. Murrell earned his medical degree from Tufts University School of Medicine in 1981. He then interned at Southwestern Medical School at St. Paul hospital in Dallas before graduating from ophthalmology residency at Texas Tech Health Science Center in 1986. He also completed a fellowship in oculoplastic and reconstructive surgery at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston in 1987.
Dr. Murrell opened his own private practice in 1987 in Amarillo, Texas. He later helped co-created and co-founded Panhandle Eye Group and the Panhandle Eye Surgery Specialists Building. He has treated thousands of patients and performed thousands of surgeries for cataracts, eyelids, dry eye, and cosmetics. Patients travel far and wide to receive Dr. Murrell’s excellent care, and his mission is to give each patient the best results while treating them with the utmost kindness and respect.
Dr. Murrell is married with two daughters and one granddaughter. In his spare time, he enjoys traveling with his family, playing golf with friends, and cheering on his favorite sports teams: the New England Patriots, the Boston Red Sox, the San Antonio Spurs, and the University of Maine Black Bear hockey team.
- 2007 – Co-Created and Co-Founded Panhandle Eye Surgery Specialists Building
- 1998 – Co-Created and Co-Founded Panhandle Eye Group
- 1991 – Joined Amarillo Cataract and Eye Surgery Center
- 1987 – Opened private practice in Amarillo, TX
- 1987 – University of Texas Medical School – Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- 1986 – Texas Tech University School of Medicine – Ophthalmology
- 1982 – Southwestern Medical School – Internal Medicine
- 1981 – Tufts University School of Medicine
- 1977 – University of Maine, High Distinction/Phi Beta Kappa
Dr. Murrell’s Continued Education:
Dr. Murrell subscribes to the American Journal of Ophthalmology, the American Journal of Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and the Video Digest of Ophthalmology. He also learns new techniques at the ASOPRS Conference (American Society of OculoPlastic and Reconstructive Surgeons), held twice a year, and the AAO Conference (American Academy of Ophthalmology), held once a year.
Dr. Murrell is a member of Shout M.D., a new professional, social network exclusively for board certified specialists, including board certified doctors in plastic surgery, oculoplastic surgery, ophthalmology, and dermatology. This ongoing communication between doctors results in cutting edge technology, knowledge, education, and products in these specialties. Dr. Murrell believes that this website will create a paradigm shift in improving his patient care and help enable him to offer the best services and products.
Meetings Dr. Murrell has attended in the past year:
- ASOPRS spring meeting in Vancover, BC June 2017
- ASOPRS fall meeting in New Orleans, LA Nov 2017
- AAO Annual meeting in New Orleans, LA Nov 2017
- J&J Techis Symfony IOL users meeting in Phoenix, AZ March 2018
Schedule a Consultation
To schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Murrell, call:
“You deserve the best, and so do your eyes.” – Dr. Murrell